Celebrate National Farmers' Market Week 2021!
Posted on July 30, 2021 | General News
Join the Dane County Farmers' Market and farmers' markets across the country in celebrating the annual National Farmers' Market Week from August 1 - 7, 2021!
Farmers' markets help preserve farmland, enhance rural livelihoods, promote sustainability, and increase access to fresh and healthy foods. We are passionate about operating farmers' markets because they are a perfect counterforce to much that ails us in 2021: they are a source of health and nourishment, they connect us to our region and to other human beings, and honestly they are a source of fun, joy, and magic. Can't we all use a little fun and magic these days?
Here are our top 5 ways to celebrate National Farmers' Market Week and feel the magic!
- Visit market! Nourish you and yours with ingredients from our farmers, bakers, and cheesemakers at our Wednesday Market on the 200 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd and our Saturday Market on the Square.
- Support the farmers! Did you know farmers receive only 15 cents of every food dollar that shoppers spend at traditional food retail outlets, like grocery stores? When you shop at a farmers' market, 100% of your food dollar goes directly to the producer. When you visit market, don't forget to pick up the best that Wisconsin can produce! This time of the season, you'll find the sweetest sweet corn, juicy tomatoes, zucchini, cabbages, berries, cherries, fresh onions, garlic, and more. Pro tip: don't forget to bring your tote bag and grab cash.
- Get to know your producer! The DCFM is famously known as the largest producer-only farmers' market in the country. What does this mean? It means that when you shop at the DCFM, the farmer who grew the carrots, the baker who handcrafted that loaf of bread, and the cheesemaker who crafted that block of aged cheddar is behind the stand! Our producers are wonderful sources of information and inspiration. Ask them how to take care of your new houseplant or how they like to cook up eggplant.
- Spread the word! Share your farmers' market love on social media - tag us @DaneCoFM on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook and use the hashtags #danecountyfarmersmarket, #wisconsingoodness, #dcfmmagic to share how you're celebrating National Farmers' Market Week!
- Become a volunteer! Love the market? Share your enthusiasm as a volunteer at the Information Booth or with our EBT Program! Volunteers are essential to thriving farmers' markets. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info!