Recipe of the Week - Blueberry Skillet Cornbread with Maple Butter
Posted on July 10, 2019 | Recipe
Should we eat this for breakfast, afternoon snack, dessert, or with awesome BBQ for dinner? We'll let you decide! Thanks to Wisconsin from Scratch for dreaming up this tempting way to savor local blueberries.
- 1 ½ cups blueberries
- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp flour, divided
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ¼ cup (4 Tbsp) butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Toss the blueberries with 1 Tbsp flour until coated (this will help keep them from all sinking to the bottom of the bread)
3. In a large bowl, mix together 1 cup flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
4. In a smaller bowl, combine the milk, melted butter, eggs, and maple syrup.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stir until just mixed. Stir in the lemon zest, then fold in the blueberries.
6. Pour batter into a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Place skillet into preheated oven and bake until the top is golden brown, and a skewer inserted into the bread comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
7. While cake bakes, make the maple butter by combining the softened butter and 1 Tbsp maple syrup, and stirring together until smooth.
8. Allow bread to cool slightly after removing from the oven, then serve with plenty of maple butter.