Recipe of the Week - Caramelized Onion and Sauteed Mushroom Quiche
Posted on February 12, 2020 | Recipe
Quiche is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Use market eggs, onions, mushrooms, and tangy goat cheese to make this savory and delicious meal dreamed up by the Domestic Dreamboat.
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces white mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh
- salt and pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 store bought or home made pie crust (look for rolled pie crust, not the kind that is already a in pie dish)
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- Melt butter in a 10 or 12" skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often until very soft and golden brown. As onions cook, turn heat down and/or add water 1 Tablespoon at a time if they begin to brown too quickly. Onions may take up to 30 minutes or more to caramelize. When done, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Return now empty skillet to medium heat and add olive oil. Add mushrooms and cook until browned and water has been cooked out of them. Stir in thyme and season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat oven to 375°F. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, evaporated milk and milk. Set aside.
- Roll out pie crust and place into a 9" pie plate or quiche dish. Add caramelized onions and sauteed mushrooms to the pie crust. Pour egg mixture over onions and mushrooms and sprinkle goat cheese on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until egg is set.