Recipe of the Week - Massaged Kale Salad with Pickled Cherry and Kohlrabi
Posted on July 11, 2018 | Recipe
Who would have ever thought of combining cherries, kale, and kohlrabi in a salad? Vicky Cassidy of Things I Made Today did! This hearty salad would be perfect for a potluck or as a unique dinner at home.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 large bunch lacinato or Red Russian kale, stems removed and leaves roughly torn
- ½ small red onion, slicked thin
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, sliced thin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 5 ounces cherries, halved and pitted
- 1 small kohlrabi, skin peeled and julienned
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar, and salt. Place cherries in one small bowl or jar and kohlrabi in another. Pour half the vinegar over cherries and the other half over the kohlrabi, stirring to coat. Set aside while you make the rest of the salad, about 10-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, salt, lemon juice, and honey. Pour over kale leaves and use your hands to massage kale until it breaks down and softens, about 5-6 minutes.
- Toss kale with red onion, cherries, and kohlrabi. Top with Parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper.