Recipe of the Week - Morels on Toast
Posted on May 23, 2018 | Recipe
The beauty of this recipe from Wisconsin from Scratch is that it’s fantastic any time of day. It makes a terrific breakfast, a lovely lunch, or a perfect light spring supper. This may be the final week for morels, so make sure to enjoy them today!
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 heaping Tbsp minced shallots
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme (lemon thyme if possible!)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 oz morel mushrooms, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 Tbsp mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 2 slices sourdough or rye bread
- 1 tsp chopped green garlic tops or fresh chives
1. Melt butter in a pan over medium low heat. Add the shallot, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook until shallots are soft and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the morels, and continue to cook until morels begin to soften slightly, about 2-3 minutes more.
3. Stir in the lemon zest and mascarpone until mascarpone is melted in and well incorporated.
4. Spoon the mushroom mixture on top of the toasts, sprinkle with green garlic or chives, and serve immediately.