Recipe of the Week - Roasted Strawberry Balsamic Jam
Posted on June 26, 2019 | Recipe
Is there anything quite like fresh ruby red strawberry jam? Spread this roasted strawberry jam dreamed up by Wisconsin From Scratch on buttered toast, a crumbly biscuit, or scoop onto some ice cream for a 'pie a la mode' feel!
- 2 lbs strawberries, hulled and cut into halves
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons good quality balsamic vinegar
- Place strawberries in a bowl, add sugar, and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Let berries sit and macerate while you heat your oven to 250 degrees.
- Once oven is heated, pour berries and their juices into a 9 x 13 baking dish, and spread out so they are in a single layer. Pour balsamic vinegar over berries, place baking dish in the oven, and bake for 2 hours. Check berries every 30-40 minutes and give them a quick stir.
- After 2 hours, remove berries from oven - they should look very dark red and a little dried out on the edges. There will also be a lot of syrup. Mash berries with a fork or a potato masher, then use a sieve to strain off the liquid syrup until jam reaches your desired consistency (save the drained syrup for other uses - like mixing in bubbly water!). Store jam in the refrigerator, and use within a couple of weeks (should not be a problem).