Recipe of the Week - Roasted Sweet Potato & Chorizo Breakfast Tacos
Posted on November 13, 2019 | Recipe
Is there a day that cannot be improved by breakfast tacos? We think not. Especially ones full of roasted sweet potatoes, chorizo, and shredded cheese, a la the recipe below from Wisconsin from Scratch!
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ancho chile powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 oz Mexican chorizo
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 4 flour or corn tortillas, warmed
- shredded cheese such as monterrey jack or mild cheddar
- fresh pico de gallo or other salsa
- sliced avocado, hot sauce, and lime wedges for serving
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the sweet potato pieces, olive oil, ancho chile, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and ½ tsp salt until potatoes are well coated. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees until tender and crispy on the edges, about 40-45 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt if desired.
3. Cook chorizo in a pan over medium heat until cooked through and beginning to brown, about 7-8 minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm while you prepare the eggs. Leave chorizo drippings in the pan.
4. Whisk the eggs, milk, black pepper and ¼ tsp salt together in a medium bowl. Heat the pan you used to cook the chorizo over medium low heat. Add the eggs to the chorizo drippings, and cook, stirring gently until they achieve a soft, scrambled texture.
5. Divide sweet potatoes, chorizo, and eggs evenly between each warm tortilla. Top with shredded cheese, fresh pico de gallo salsa, avocado, hot sauce, and a squeeze of lime.