Recipe of the Week - Skillet Chicken Pot Pie With Winter Squash And Kale
Posted on November 28, 2018 | Recipe
Chicken pot pie is what cold, chilly November days call for. This skillet pie recipe from Things I Made Today is chock full of tender chicken, winter squash, kale, onions, carrots, and garlic - all enveloped in a creamy sauce.
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- ¼ cup buttermilk, cold
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves removed from stems
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 chicken thighs, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small bunch kale, center ribs removed, greens chopped
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 small to medium delicata squash, seeds removed, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 large egg, whisked
To make the crust:
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Add in butter cubes and, using your hands, work the butter into the flour until small, pea-sized clumps form. Pour in buttermilk and sprinkle in thyme. Work liquid into flour until a shaggy dough forms. Knead slightly, form into a disc and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate while you make the filling. Dough can be made one day ahead of time.
To make the filling:
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat olive oil in a 10 inch cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add in chicken pieces and cook until they start to brown, stirring occasionally. Transfer chicken to plate and set aside.
- Add onions to pan and cook until they begin to brown, about 4 minutes. Add in carrots and cook until they soften, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and kale and cook until kale starts to wilt, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
- Reduce heat to low and sprinkle flour and rosemary on top of vegetables. Stir constantly for about 2 minutes, until flour is well integrated. Add broth and squash, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes, until squash has softened.
- Return chicken to pan, stir, and season filling with salt to taste. Turn off heat.
To assemble and bake:
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 13 inch round. Gently drape dough on top of cast iron pan, tucking the sides in and crimping them with a fork. Cut four 1 inch slits in the center of the dough to vent, then brush with egg wash.
- Bake pot pie for 20-25 minutes, until crust is golden brown. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.