Recipe of the Week - Spinach, Beet, Bacon, and Blue Cheese Salad
Posted from Vicky from Things I Made Today on April 18, 2018 | Recipe
Vicky from Things I Made Today brings us a salad made of frost-sweetened spinach, cottage bacon, candy cane beets, farm-fresh eggs, and green onions, plus some blue cheese. This is a list of ingredients that is just asking to be put together. And don't be shy about having seconds....it's a salad, after all!
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp. olive oil (or try sunflower oil), divided
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 6 oz. spinach, cut into ribbons if the leaves are large
- 2 large beets, cut into 1" cubes
- 3 slices thick cut bacon, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 3 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Hard boil eggs: Place eggs in a small saucepan. Cover with cold water by about two inches. Bring water to a roiling boil, cover pot, and turn off heat. Let sit for 9 minutes, then drain water and rinse eggs under ice cold water until they cool. Let eggs come to room temperature, peel, and chop.
2. Make dressing: In a small bowl or jar, whisk together remaining olive oil, red wine vinegar, and mustard. Pour over spinach and let sit while you assemble the remaining ingredients.
3. Cook beets and bacon: Preheat oven to 450F. Toss beets in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, or until beets are cooked through. Remove and let cool slightly. In a small saucepan, cook bacon until slightly crispy. Transfer bacon to paper-towel lined plate.
4. Assemble salad: In a large bowl, combine dressed spinach leaves, beets, bacon, chopped eggs, scallions, and blue cheese. Toss well, and adjust salt and pepper to taste.