Recipe of the Week - Sweet Potato Bourbon Pancakes
Posted on January 15, 2020 | Recipe
Sweet potato pancakes were made for snowy winter days. Full of mashed sweet potatoes? Check! Spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg? Check! Drizzled with local maple syrup? Yes please. Thanks to local food blogger Wisconsin from Scratch for dreaming up this indulgent recipe!
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg (freshly grated if possible)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp bourbon (or sub vanilla extract)
- ½ tsp grated orange zest
- ¾ cup cooked, mashed sweet potato
- pecans and maple syrup for serving
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. Mix well.
2. In a smaller bowl, or large measuring cup, whisk together the milk, eggs, melted butter, bourbon, and orange zest. Add to the flour mixture, and stir together until a batter is formed. Stir in the mashed sweet potato.
3. Heat a griddle over medium high heat. Spoon pancake batter onto griddle in circular shapes (should be able to cook two pancakes at a time) and cook until golden, about 2-3 minutes per side.
4. Serve pancakes immediately topped with pecans and a healthy drizzle of maple syrup.