Safe Shopper Code of Conduct
Posted on June 04, 2021 | General News
On June 2, Public Health Madison & Dane County lifted all public health orders, including mask requirements. The pandemic isn’t over, but with Dane County’s high vaccination rate and low COVID-19 case rate, we can reopen our downtown markets safely. We have updated our Safe Shopper Code of Conduct to include best practices and other tips for us all to have a safe and fun market experience.
#1 - Protect each other
As we enter this 'new normal', let's continue to follow CDC recommendations:
- All shoppers must feel healthy and well. If you are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19, please stay home.
- We ask that all unvaccinated people - including patrons and vendors - to mask up.
- We ask all patrons and vendors to continue to practice good hygiene practices, including proper hand-washing.
- The DCFM will continue to clean and sanitize the Information Booth table and EBT supplies to prevent the spread of illnesses like COVID-19, flu, and whooping cough.
#2 - Ease back into the new normal
For many, a trip to the Saturday Market on the Square may be their first major excursion after being vaccinated. Or maybe a trip to downtown Madison will be a key milestone for you and your family of things feeling back to normal. We understand that some may feel anxious or overwhelmed about this transition. Here are our top tips to have a safe and fun trip to market.
- Continue to wear a face covering if you desire. In this new normal, many may continue wearing masks (even if they are vaccinated) for an array of reasons, such as reducing chance of transmission to their children, to reduce allergy symptoms, or others. We respect and encourage this choice!
- To have extra elbow room while you shop and avoid the busiest time at market, shop at off-peak hours: 6:15 am - 8:30 am and 12:30 pm - 1:45 pm.
- Prepare for your shopping trip (so it is smooth and stress-free!) by checking out DCFM social media channels (Instagram, Facebook, & Twitter pages linked below), the 'Our Markets' tab in the top navigation bar, and by subscribing to our e-news.
- Even though physical distancing is no longer required, please be courteous and aware of others around you. We can all offer each other a little extra compassion and understanding during this time!
#3 - Be a farmers' market pro
We all may feel a bit rusty! Here are our perennial farmers' market shopping tips:
- Keep seasonality in mind. Because our farmers produce in the state of Wisconsin, the mix of fruits and vegetables will change with the seasons.
- Bring small currency. Many of our vendors have electronic or contactless methods of payment, but all of our vendors accept cash.
- Leave your pets at home! Service animals are welcome.
- Don't forget your reusable tote bags!
Thank you for your continued support of the Dane County Farmers’ Market!