Recipe of the Week - Rhubarb Upside Down Spice Cake
Posted on May 16, 2018 | Recipe
This burst of warm weather calls for enjoying the evening outside on your deck or patio, with a tasty rhubarb treat! Brought to you by Wisconsin from Scratch, this simple recipe may convert you into a rhubarb-lover!
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 Tbsp. butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped into 1/4" pieces
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- In a larger bowl, beat the eggs together with the sugars, then add in the melted butter and sour cream.
- Add flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with the milk in 2 additions, beating just to blend after each addition.
- To make the topping, heat a 9-inch cast iron pan over medium heat. Melt the butter, then add the brown sugar, stirring to mix well. Once mixed, add the rhubarb and stir to coat with brown sugar mixture. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then remove pan from heat.
- Make sure rhubarb topping is evenly covering the bottom of the cast iron pan, then pour the cake batter over and spread evenly over rhubarb.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes - cake should be golden and a toothpick inserted into the cake should come out clean.
- Immediately after removing from the oven, place a plate over the pan, and carefully invert cake out of the pan and onto the plate (make sure to wear oven mitts - the pan will be very hot!)
- Allow cake to cool slightly before digging in. Best served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.