WI Whisk Recipe of the Week - Apple Cranberry Bread Pudding
Posted from The Gourmet RD on December 13, 2017 | Recipe
Bread puddings are a classic dessert - easy to make and delicious to eat! This bread pudding gets extra flavor from local apples, sourdough bread, eggs, and maple syrup. Spoon some up for you and yours.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, divided
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 loaf sourdough bread or brioche
- 2 1/2 TBS butter, divided
- 2 medium, firm apples, diced
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1/2 orange, juiced
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup granola
- Maple syrup for serving
- In a mixing bowl whisk together eggs and ¼ cup brown sugar. Whisk in milk and vanilla extract.
- Place cubed bread in a greased 9x13 glass or ceramic baking dish. Pour milk mixture over the bread and stir to combine. Allow to sit 15-20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add apples, cranberries, remaining ¼ cup brown sugar and orange juice; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook 4-5 minutes, until fruit just starts to soften. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour apple/cranberry mixture over the bread mixture and stir to combine. Bake 40 minutes.
- In a small glass mixing bowl, melt remaining ½ tablespoon butter. Stir in granola to combine. Top bread mixture with granola mixture. Bake an additional 10-20 minutes, until top is puffed and light golden brown. Allow to slightly cool and serve with maple syrup.