WI Whisk Recipe of the Week - Massaged Kale Salad with Blood Orange and Pomegranate
Posted from Things I Made Today on February 23, 2018 | Recipe
Winter doesn't mean you shouldn't eat your greens. Here's my favorite way to turn raw kale into the centerpiece of dinner.
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems removed, torn into large pieces
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 blood orange, peeled, sliced into thin rounds
- seeds from ½ a pomegranate
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place kale in a large bowl and pour olive oil, lemon juice, and sea salt on top. Using your hands, massage the kale leaves, working the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt into the leaves. If you've got some large leaves, tear them into smaller pieces as you go. Continue to massage for about 5 minutes, until kale is a vibrant green and has broken down. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together shallot, olive oil, honey, and lemon juice. Pour over kale and toss to coat.
- Top kale with blood oranges, pomegranate seeds, goat cheese, walnuts, and a little bit of black pepper.