WI Whisk Recipe of the Week - Sweet Potatoes Stuffed with Kale and Beans
Posted from Things I Made Today on February 08, 2018 | Recipe
My favorite way to turn a sweet potato into a dinner the entire family can get behind.
- 1/3 cup uncooked cannelloni beans or 1 cup canned (cooked) cannelloni beans, drained
- Olive oil
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 slices turkey bacon, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 cups kale, stems removed, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- If you're starting out with uncooked beans, soak the beans overnight. Place beans in a large pot with at least an inch of water covering them plus a bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover, and cook for 45 minutes or until beans are soft. Strain beans and set aside. This whole process can be done the previous day if needed.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking dish, rub with olive oil, and poke a couple holes in them with a fork. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- About 15 minutes before the potatoes are done, heat butter in a large pan. Add shallots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add in bacon and cook until slightly crispy, about 1-2 minutes more. Stir in red pepper flakes, white beans, and kale. Add lemon juice and cook until kale has wilted.
- Once potatoes are done, cut each down the middle and stuff with kale and beans mixture.