WI Whisk Recipe of the Week - Roasted Beet Salad with Candied Walnuts and Goat Cheese
Posted from Domestic Dreamboat on March 23, 2018 | Recipe
This simple and flavorful salad is chock full of market ingredients and perfect as a light lunch or dinner starter.
- 4 small beets ends trimmed (red or golden beets both work), or 2-3 large beets
- 1/4 cup walnut halves coarsely chopped
- 1 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup divided
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups leafy greens (spring or field mix arugula, spinach or a combination), washed
- 2 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- Heat oven to 400°F. If your beets are large, cut them in half or quarters to reduce roasting time. Place the beets onto a large piece of aluminum foil. Fold the foil into a sealed packet, ensuring to crimp the edges closed. Place foil packet onto a baking sheet. Roast until the tip of a paring knife can be easily inserted into a beet, about 35-40 minutes. Cool slightly until you are able to handle them.
- Rub beets with a clean paper towel to remove the skin. Cut into slices, wedges or cubes and set aside.
- While beets are cooking, roast walnuts in a small, dry non-stick skillet over medium heat. When nuts become fragrant, pour 1 Tablespoons of the maple syrup over the walnuts. Remove from heat and stir walnuts to coat completely with syrup. Allow to cool in the skillet. Break up any clumps of nuts with fingers or wooden spoon.
- Whisk balsamic vinegar, remaining teaspoon of maple syrup, salt and pepper together. Continue whisking vigorously while slowly drizzling in the olive oil. Toss this dressing together with the greens to evenly coat.
- Divide greens evenly among 2-4 bowls. Divide the roasted beets, candied walnuts and goat cheese equally to top each bowl of salad. Serve immediately.