WI Whisk Recipe of the week - Traditional Canadian Poutine
Posted from Domestic Dreamboat on March 09, 2018 | Recipe
It is hard to not pop fresh cheese curds right from the bag into your mouth, but why not feature them in the savory and indulgent traditional poutine? Feel free to make your own potato wedges too if you don't have leftover french fries!
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons beef broth concentrate or 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounces fresh cheese curds at room temperature
- 1 pound cooked French fries
- Add beef broth concentrate or bouillon cubes and water to a glass measuring cup or microwave safe container. Microwave until water is very hot, 1-2 minutes. Stir to dissolve.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and onion powder and cook for 1-2 minutes. Very slowly whisk in the beef broth, adding it in small amounts at a time and whisking each addition in completely before adding more to prevent lumps. When all the broth has been added, bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer for 2-3 minutes. Cover until ready to use.
- Place fries in a shallow bowl or large plate. Spread cheese curds over the fries. Pour gravy over top the fries and curds. Serve immediately.