Celebrate National Farmers' Market Week 2019!
Posted on July 31, 2019 | General News
Farmers' markets help preserve farmland, enhance rural livelihoods, promote sustainability, and increase access to fresh and healthy foods.
Celebrate the joy and immense value of farmers' markets from August 4 thru 10 during National Farmers' Market Week! Here are our top 5 ways to celebrate:
- Visit market! Nourish you and yours with ingredients from our farmers, bakers, and cheesemakers at our Wednesday Market on the 200 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd and our Saturday Market on the Square.
- Support the farmers! Did you know farmers receive only 15 cents of every food dollar that shoppers spend at traditional food retail outlets, like grocery stores? When you shop at a farmers' market, 100% of your food dollar goes directly to the producer. When you visit market, don't forget to pick up the best that Wisconsin can produce! This time of the season, you'll find the sweetest sweet corn, juicy tomatoes, zucchini, cabbages, berries, fresh onions, garlic, and more. Pro tip: don't forget to bring your tote bag and grab cash. Need some recipe inspiration? Check out our recipe of the week on Super Fresh!
- Get to know your producer! Follow along as our market members take over our Instagram Stories and share why farmers' markets matter to them as they craft beautiful bouquets, harvest peppers, and more.
- Spread the word! Share your farmers' market love on social media - tag us @DaneCoFM on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook and use the hashtags #danecountyfarmersmarket, #wisconsingoodness, #WhyFarmersMarkets, and #LoveMyMarket to show all how you're celebrating the week.
- Become a volunteer! Love the market? Share your enthusiasm as a volunteer at the Information Booth or with our EBT Program! Volunteers are essential to thriving farmers' markets. Check out more info here.